They are for the crowd that knew the bars, clubs, restaurants and music of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. They are reminders of the best of times spent with family and friends at the best places, those places, back then.


See all Mississippi Retro Apparel.

Mississippi Retro Apparel

Hattiesburg Retro Apparel

The Biloxi Lighthouse

The History of the Biloxi Lighthouse

Historical sign marker at the base of the Biloxi Lighthouse

The Biloxi Lighthouse was erected in 1848 and was one of the first cast-iron lighthouses in the South. It is the city’s signature landmark and has become a post-Katrina symbol of the city’s resolve and resilience.

The Biloxi Lighthouse was one of three Mississippi Sound lighthouses authorized in 1847 by legislation sponsored by Mississippi Representative Jefferson Davis. A one-acre tract for the lighthouse and keeper’s dwelling was purchased from John Fayard for $600, and metal plates, cast by Murray and Hazlehurst Vulcan Works in Baltimore under a contract for $6,347, were bolted together to form the lighthouse, which was strengthened by a brick lining. The tower was completed in the spring of 1848 under the supervision of Henry Scoles, and Marcellus J. Howard was assigned as the first keeper. Part of Keeper Howard’s job was

General Information


Biloxi Lighthouse

Intersection of U. S. Highway 90 and Porter Avenue

Biloxi, MS  39350

(228) 374-3105


Guided tours: 

  • Daily at 9:00, 9:15 and 9:30 am
  • Weather permitting
  • No reservations required (except for tour groups)


Admission prices:

  • Adults - $5.00
  • Children (ages 2 to 12) - $2


Visit the Biloxi Lighthouse website

Postcard of Biloxi Lighthouse after the Storm of September 20, 1909

Mississippi Memories

Mississippi Retro Apparel

to service the nine lamps and fourteen-inch reflectors, supplied by Winslow Lewis, that comprised the lighting apparatus. In 1856, a fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the array of lamps and reflectors.

The light was civilian operated from 1848 to 1939, and is notable for its several female lightkeepers, including Maria Younghans, who tended the light for 53 years. In 1939, the U.S. Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the light’s operation.

After being declared surplus property in 1968, the Biloxi Lighthouse was deeded to the City of Biloxi, which eventually opened it to public tours.

The lighthouse has withstood many storms over the years. Katrina’s storm surge enveloped a third of the 64-foot tall lighthouse, and the constant pounding from the water and winds toppled many bricks that lined the interior of the cast iron tower. The storm’s winds also broke many of the windows in the light cupola and destroyed the structure’s electrical system

In March 2010, the city re-opened the lighthouse to public tours after a 14-month, $400,000 restoration that was funded by FEMA and MEMA and completed by Biloxi contractor J.O. Collins.

The Biloxi Lighthouse

Click the shirt for color and style options


View all Mississippi Retro Apparel

Mississippi Retro Apparel are wearable flashbacks from years gone by.